How to Start a Photography Blog
Creating a photography blog is one of the best ways to share your talent of photography with the rest of the world. As you start learning more about your camera and begin taking some amazing photographs, sharing them on your blog will allow more people to not only appreciate your art but also get inspiration from it.
While in the modern world of today where there are so many social networking websites, running a blog might sound like an old idea. But, there is something about blogs that have kept them up, running and strong. Blogs are easy to set up, are intuitive and lets you control the content fully. They are highly flexible and customizable and most importantly, Google ranks your blog much faster than your site so you get more eyes from all over the world on your work.
Are you also thinking of making your own photography blog? If yes, here are the simple steps you need to take to make one.
Have a Clear Goal in Mind
If you are making a blog, you should have a clear goal in mind as to why you are doing it. You can create a blog to sell your photos or to just share them with the world. The goal you choose to pursue with your blog will say a lot in how you proceed with it. If you are a professional photographer, you should definitely buy a domain so you look reputable. You can do this on WordPress very easily. On the other hand, if you choose to be a recreational photographer, you don’t necessarily have to buy a domain. Work on photo sharing websites like Tumblr to get started free of cost.
Once you have created your blog, (scroll down for exact instructions on how to do it) make sure you put some content on it right away. Even about 5-10 pictures would do to start off. This will make people follow you as they see content right from the beginning of the blog. It also gives you an opportunity to tweak your blog a little in case you don’t like something.
The Highlight of the Blog should be Photos
It is important to keep in mind that it is a photography blog and the same should be the highlight of it. Do not confuse the main aim of the blog by adding big text blurbs or titles etc. While these things are necessary too, they should definitely not take the limelight away from the main attraction, that is your photos.
Add Contact Information
There is an About section on each blog. Never leave it blank. You can add your contact information in this section to let anyone contact you in case they need permission to use your photos or want to hire you for a photography job.
Post Photographs Regularly
Many photographers when starting a photography blog are too enthusiastic about it and add a lot of photos. The enthusiasm vanishes in some days and they forget to add photos to their blog in long times. If you want to keep your blog running successfully and also keep your followers interested, you need to have regularly updated content on it. A photograph every day or every two days will do the job. Also, it is important not to upload everything you click. Your blog should only have your best work on display.
Interact with People
It is also very important to interact with your followers to keep them engaged. Reply to their queries and comments, say thank you when they say words of appreciation for your skills etc. Also, follow other bloggers who have the same interests as you have. This will help your blog grow.
The hardware and how to get it done for under $4 per month and get a FREE domain 10 easy steps
With the help of BlueHost and some easy to follow steps, you will be done setting up your photography blog in less than 15 minutes. Let’s get started.
2. Here you have options for hosting plans. I suggest you select something that is comfortable for you. If you choose basic you can always upgrade later. 3. Here is where you get to pick your domain. Pick something catchy that people will remember. Ours is ShutYourAperture.com this was intended to be photography related and easy for people to remember.
4. Fill in all your info on this page.
5. Here is where you double check everything and make sure is what you want. I chose to go yearly to save some extra cash. Seriously, that is super inexpensive.
6. This is where you will install WordPress. Go to the site and click install WordPress. This will redirect you to a site called MOJOMarketplace.
7. When you are at MOJOMarketplace you will click on install new scripts.
8. Next, you want to enter your domain name in the box, leave the directory blank and click on check domain
9. Here you will set up your username and password for your WordPress account. Make sure “Show advanced options in checked”. Click install now.
10. It will take a few minutes to install and once it’s done you will come to this confirmation page. Take a screenshot of it and keep it in a safe place.
And that is it, you are on your way to being a superstar blogger.
These were some simple tips on how to start your photography blog. Follow these and you will have a great photography blog in no time. With the ease of BlueHost and our easy to follow tutorials, you are on your way to creating a very nice photography business for your self.