Where are the Best Places to Photograph in Holbox Mexico?
Holbox Mexico? When you think of an island of the grid you usually think of the Bahamas. It was only recently that I discovered the Island of Holbox located north of Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, in Quintana Roo State. The only way to get to the island is by ferry. This place is unlike anywhere I have ever been to before. It reminds me of Burningman on the beach. Ok, it is not exactly like that but the vibes in the are are super chill and everyone is very laid back and cool.
When you first show up to the ferry station you do not know what to expect until you see all the golf carts lined up on the sandy streets to take all the tourists to their hotels, hostels or just into the city for a day of fun and relaxation. That’s right there are no cars on the island only golf carts, motorcycles, and scooters, seriously it’s like dreaming you are in a funky movie.
Like any other place I ever go to, I start off by walking around and looking for the best places to photograph in Holbox Mexico.
Let’s start with the best places I found to photograph in Holbox Mexico
1.The Holbox sing on the beach. This sign is really cool and easy to find. When you are downtown in the main plaza head straight to the beach and look right you can not miss it. If in doubt ask around locals are happy to give you directions and everyone speaks English. When you get there you will notice that the “L” is gone, that is for you to stand and you are the “L”.
2. The Beach at sunset. This is an obvious one, head to the beach at sunset to catch this epic beauty, be warned that there will be lots of people there, so find a good spot that is less crowded. This usually involves a bit of walking, but hey look at the scenery, nothing wrong with a nice walk on the beach during an epic sunset.
3. The shade huts on the beach. The shade huts on the beach are really cool, they are surrounded by palm trees and just look cool. Walk around until you find the right ones and snap away.
4. Downtown Holbox Mexico. Walking around downtown you will find all kinds of beautiful artwork on the walls. You can see this colorful city by simply walking around the main plaza.
5. The Holbox Pier. This pier is awesome, although is crowded during the day. You can get some great shots at sunset or during the blue hour.
6. The Holbox Pier from a different angle. When you are at the pier, make sure you walk around and get different angles. You will be surprised how different your photos will look by simply moving around a bit.
7. The beach in the morning. Take a morning stroll and check out the beautiful white sandy beaches, they will get your day started on the right foot.
8. The city. This is a place unlike anywhere else. Full of golf carts and happy people, just walk around, you will never run out of things to photograph.
And that wraps it up, enjoy your trip and when getting on the ferry make sure you ride on the top on your way there. Let me know how it goes :)